Paterson north, 1850
Carmichael's 1850 plan showing roads north from Paterson. The road closest to the river is Commercial Road, also known as "the low road". Market Street runs at a right angle to it, ending at a wharf. Keppie's flour mill is marked at the intersection of Commercial Road and Market Street. Keppie's Inn, later called the Plough Inn, is shown at top right of the map.
The Bush Inn stands at the intersection of Market Street and the high road (now Gresford Road). It was across the road from Corner's two-storey brick grain store that still stands on Gresford Road without its roof. Today you can also see the imprint of Commercial Road running through Jordan's grassy paddock. Scroll down to see the 1850 map overlaid on a modern satellite image.
This is a rare record of early buildings and activities in the northern part of Paterson village. For further details see Commercial Road precinct.
Below: Carmichael's 1850 map overlaid on a modern satellite image, with key features pinpointed.
Above: Carmichael's 1850 map overlaid on a modern satellite image, with key features pinpointed.
Notes and references
1. map 5141, by Henry Carmichael, dated 7 December 1850, NSW State Archives and Records.