Dangar's map is the first official European map of the Hunter Valley. It indicates land grants and shows the extensive wetlands on both sides of the Paterson River. The one mile square grid imposed by Dangar is evident on his map. The large green patch near the middle of the map is Church and School land (which was later detailed in an 1831 map by GB White).
In Dangar's map north is on the right hand side (north is usually at the top of maps). The symbol of a tent with a flag on top (left hand side of the green patch, just above the river) is the military base at Old Banks. The inn across the river from the military base was run by Thomas Stubbs.
This is a mouse-powered map. You can click on some areas to get more information.
Notes and references
2. Archer, Cameron. "Social and Environmental Change as Determinants of Ecosystem Health: A Case Study of Social Ecological Systems in the Paterson Valley NSW Australia". Ph.D. thesis, University of Newcastle, 2007, p40.
Map of Patersons Plains c1830.
Map of the Church and School land by GB White 1831.