John Herring Boughton & Charlotte Westbrook
John Herring Boughton and Charlotte Maria Westbrook arrived in New South Wales in September 1822 on the brig Fame and were married in Sydney two weeks later, possibly as the result of a shipboard romance. Shortly after their marriage John Boughton received 2,000 acres of land on the Paterson River, and he named his grant 'Tillimby' (see map).
In Sydney in 1827 John Herring Boughton was sworn in as an attorney and solicitor of the NSW Supreme Court, indicating legal training and possibly practice in Devon prior to his emigration. In October 1829 John and Charlotte returned to England where they remained for two years.
In 1833 Boughton purchased 149 acres of land at Teralba on Lake Macquarie. This land became known at Boughton Point and the name has since evolved to the present day Bolton Point. In 1834 Boughton purchased land at Reid's Mistake (the entrance to Lake Macquarie) which is part of present day Swansea. Here he established an evaporative salt works operated by his assigned convicts. Salt was in great demand as a meat preservative and as an antiseptic.
In 1837 Boughton obtained a Depasturing Licence on Ohio Creek in the Walcha district where he ran over 3,000 sheep tended by 11 shepherds. He sold this Licence to Abraham Nivison in 1842.
Boughton also expanded his landholdings in the Paterson area, purchasing several lots from 1836 onwards, including a portion of Cintra and adjoining land in 1838. He was active in civic affairs in the district, becoming a member of the Paterson District Council in 1844 and Warden of Paterson in 1850.
Above: news of John Boughton's death in the Maitland Mercury 30 September 1854.
John and Charlotte Boughton did not have children of their own, but they adopted a young girl named Mary Ann Tomlins who became known as Mary Ann Boughton. Charlotte died in 1853 at the age of 50 years while John drowned in a boating accident on Lake Macquarie in 1854 at the age of 64. John and Charlotte were initially buried at Tillimby but the burial site was affected by flooding and they were reinterred in the churchyard at St. Paul's, Paterson in the 1870s.
In 1859 Abraham Nivison of Ohio Station at Walcha purchased all the Paterson land formerly owned by Boughton (see history of Tillimby).
Index to the NSW Colonial Secretary's papers. There are several papers listed for John Herring Boughton, listed as John Henry Boughton.
An overview of settlement at Patersons Plains from 1822.