Anthony Dwyer & Margaret Codehy (Cuddy)
Anthony Dwyer was an early settler at Patersons Plains. He was tried in Ireland in 1799 and transported for life, arriving in New South Wales on the Atlas in 1802.
In 1810 Governor Macquarie sent Dwyer to the penal settlement at Newcastle as overseer of lime burners. He received a conditional pardon in January 1815 and that same year was allowed to take up a farm at Paterson River but continued to reside in Newcastle. His block of land was on the eastern bank of the Paterson River, immediately north of Thomas Addison's block.
Remarkably, he received the rare reward of an absolute pardon in November 1821 (the last few weeks of Lachlan Macquarie's governorship).
Newspaper report of Margaret Cuddy's second sentence to Newcastle.
In 1822 Dwyer married Margaret Codehy (Cuddy) who had arrived in New South Wales on the ship Catherine in 1814 with a seven year sentence for her conviction in Kilkenny City the previous year. At the time of arrival her occupaton was listed as 'servant' and her age 21 years. Margaret was banished to Newcastle on two separate occasions, the first in July 1815 for an unknown offence and the second in 1820 following a sentence of seven years secondary transportation for stealing a watch in Sydney.
Above: Dwyer's land on the Paterson River. See full map.
By 1822 on his farm at Patersons Plains Dwyer had cleared 22 acres, planted 20 acres of wheat and was running 14 cattle and 2 pigs, but he was not in residence at the time the muster was taken. Dangar's survey in 1823 indicated Dwyer's farm consisted of 26 acres of which 19 acres had been cleared and on which stood a wattle and plaster hut, a barn, shed, pig sty and yard, with a total value of £23.
The 1828 census indicates Anthony and Margaret were living on their Paterson land that they had named 'Macquarie Farm' which now comprised 60 acres, all of which had been cleared and 20 acres were under cultivation. Their ages in 1828 were recorded as 44 and 45 respectively.
Like many of the other early settlers at Patersons Plains who occupied their land at the governor's pleasure, Dwyer became ensnared in the re-allocation of his land to the Church and School Corporation. Dwyer refused to move and was later promised title to his land, but he died in 1840 before this occurred. His land passed firstly to William Manning and then by sale to William Munnings Arnold who began to build Stradbroke on Dwyer's old farm about 1840.
Notes and references
4. Walsh, Brian. European Settlement at Paterson River 1812 to 1822. Paterson: Paterson Historical Society, 2012.
8. SG 25 November 1820 p3 (on-line).
An overview of settlement at Patersons Plains up to the end of 1821.