search web this site
Paterson River history

search web this site

James McClymont & Nancy Ralston

[Bowthorne] [Ahalton]

James McClymont and Nancy Ralston were married in Scotland in 1822 and arrived in Australia in 1823 on the Andromeda. In 1823 James was granted 2,000 acres on the Paterson River near Hinton. He named his grant 'Bowthorne'.

James and Nancy became early innkeepers at Newcastle when he purchased the Ship Inn there.

James died in 1829 at the age of 30 leaving Nancy to raise their four children. He is buried in the grounds of Christ Church Cathedral, Newcastle. Nancy remarried in 1833 to Rev. Dr Henry Carmichael from Porphyry, NSW and had another five children. She died at Seaham in 1857.

land grants near Hinton in the 1820s

Land grants on the lower Paterson River in the 1820s (view in Google Earth). See also details for indvidual grants: Woodville, Wallalong, unnamed (Alexander Livingstone).

land grants near Hinton in the 1830s

Land holdings on the lower Paterson River in the 1830s.

Lease of Ahalton in 1829

Sydney Gazette, 15 December 1829 p4.

Following James McClymont's death in 1829 the western half of Bowthorne was sold to neighbour Alexander Livingstone who retained the name 'Bowthorne' and applied it to the whole of his now extended estate.

Widow Nancy retained the eastern 1,000 acres and it became known as 'Ahalton'. She advertised it for lease in December 1829.

References

Mitchell CJ (1984). Hunters River. Family of Cecily Joan Mitchell, Sydney NSW.

Turner J and Sullivan J (1987). From Nobbys to Paterson. Hunter History Consultants.

'Free Settler or Felon?' - http://www.jenwilletts.com/

Maitland Mercury, various issues.

See also

Alexander Livingstone.

1830s detailed map of land holdings.

Bowthorne Butter Factory.

Great Northern Broom Factory (Bowthorne).