John Doidge Tucker
Above: John Doidge Tucker (photo: Paterson Historical Society).
John Doidge Tucker was born in Paterson in 1852, the fourth son of Joseph and Susannah Tucker who migrated from Devon, England, in 1838. John followed his father's occupation of farmer, and developed a particular interest in horticulture, including native plants.
In 1939 John Tucker purchased a riverside parcel of land alongside a small area already being used as a park by the public. He then presented his purchase to Council, ensuring it would be added to the area on the river bank. This was the start of Tucker Park.
John Tucker died in December 1939 at the age of 87 and is buried in St. Paul's Church cemetery in Paterson. His wife Florence died almost 20 years later and is buried beside him.
In the early 1970s Dungog Shire Council purchased an area of land on the southern side of Prince Street, thereby again doubling the size of the park. Today Tucker Park is a popular venue for picnics, family and social gatherings.
Note: as far as is known, this John Tucker is not related to the John Tucker snr and jnr who settled at Albion Farm across the river decades earlier.
Above: John Tucker's orchard with the height of the fence extended by wires to stop camels from visiting circus troupes eating the fruit (photo: Paterson Historical Society).
Clements, Pauline. The Parks of Paterson. Paterson: Paterson Historical Society, 2001.
Threlfo, Shirley (ed.). Heritage Photographs, series 2. Paterson: Paterson Historical Society, 2007.