Above: the rear of Annandale, photographed from King Street, Paterson (GPS 32° 35.947'S 151° 37.226'E)
'Annandale' was built in 1839 by Major Edward Johnston as his family residence. It is set on the banks of the Paterson River in King Street. The house faces north, away from the street, and steps from the front verandah lead down to the river.
Major Edward Johnston was born at Annandale, Scotland, in 1797. He joined the British Army in 1810 and served in Spain during the Peninsula wars where he was wounded twice. He also served in Jamaica. He arrived in Sydney in 1834 and in 1836 was appointed as a Police Magistrate at Paterson, a position he held for many years.
Major Johnston died at Annandale in Paterson in late January 1850 and four years later Annandale was sold, changing hands several times over the years. In the 1870s and 1880s it was owned by William Corner who also owned Sussex House (see 1876 map of Paterson). According to Cecily Mitchell:
In 1887 the twin chimneys were given new chimney pots, and a good deal of money was spent on renovations by the then owner Mr Corner. The three identical louvered shuttered windows upstairs with their twelve-paned windows, glazed with imported English glass, were removed, and replaced with two single panes of glass. Also at this time a bathroom was added downstairs.
Above: Annandale (photo: Jack Sullivan - NCC Collections).
Maitland Mercury, 2 February 1850 p3 and 6 February 1850 p2.