Bridge over Paterson River, Gresford (St Anne's bridge)
In July 1883 tenders were accepted for the construction of a footbridge over the Paterson River at Gresford, and it probably opened that year or the next. Later this bridge has sometimes been called St Anne's bridge because it is near St Anne's church at Gresford.
Above and below: two views of the footbridge over the Paterson River at Gresford c1895 (State Library NSW).
The building at far right in the above photo was the church that preceded the current St Anne's.
Another view of the footbridge c1895 with the church at right (Paterson Historical Society courtesy of Ben Varley).
In January 1935 the old footbridge was condemned and in a dangerous condition. In January 1937 the Dungog Chronicle reported that the old bridge had recently been demolished, and anchorages and piers completed for the construction of a supsension bridge to replace it. The suspension footbridge was officially opened on 14 May 1937.
The suspension footbridge was flood-damaged and replaced in the early 1970s with the current suspension bridge which is able to take cars.