The Gresford Hotel stood at the crossroads in West Gresford from 1897 to 1922. Its first licensee was Patrick Feneley, followed by John J Hancock who took over in 1900.
The Gresford Hotel was known locally as "the Crossroads". It met with a fiery end in 1922 ... "on the evening of 17th May 1922, the proprietor and his family were next door at the School of Arts enjoying a concert when the fire alarm was raised. Willing volunteers rushed to help but despite their best efforts the building was gutted". John Hancock, then in his early 60s and in poor health, decided not to rebuild, leaving Beatty's Victoria Hotel as Gresford's only licenced premises.
Gresford Hotel in West Gresford, known locally as "the Crossroads" (photo: courtesy of Allan Hancock).
George V Cowley with his bullock team outside the Gresford Hotel at West Gresford (photo: courtesy of Allan Hancock).
List and index of Paterson's hotels.