The first government school near Halton on the Allyn River opened in 1876 as Ballington Provisional School. It stood on two acres about 200 metres south of the present Halton Bridge and its first teacher was Miss Susan Glynn (soon Mrs Susan White). The government school had competition, for just north across the river on James Lawrie's "Halton" property, Halton Private School operated without government support in the 1870s and through to the end of 1883.
The location of Ballington and Halton schools and the approximate location of Ballington Hall. The buildings have not survived.
In February 1882 Ballington was upgraded to a Public School and in October 1883 tenders were called for the construction of a new school building. The tender lapsed, however, when it was decided to move the school about 300 metres north, across the Allyn River, to a new government building at the junction of Chad's Creek and Allyn River roads.
Accordingly, in 1884 the school was renamed Halton Public School and in April tenders were called for the construction of a new wooden school building at Halton. The tender was awarded to Mr Collison of Allynbrook who planned to complete the work by Christmas 1884. Halton Public School stood on 2 acres of land resumed by government from James Lawrie's Halton property (see image above).
In 1887 the teacher at Halton Public School was Miss Woods. Due to low pupil numbers, Halton operated half-time with Carrabolla during 1893 and 1894 and then operated full-time from 1895 onwards.
In January 1925 Edgar Marceau transferred from Eccleston to Halton Public School where he served for six years. Edgar was a skilled photographer and left a priceless legacy of photos of the Allyn River area, including Halton School. During his time there, the school was remodelled and it reopened on 30 July 1927 (see photo below).
Halton's final teacher was William Aspinall who served from February 1948 until the school's closure in December 1949.
Opening of the refurbished Halton Public School on 30 July 1927 (photo by Edgar Marceau).
Halton school bus 1926 (photo by Edgar Marceau).
Parents and pupils at Halton School in 1928 (photo by Edgar Marceau).
2. Ballington School was in the parish of Holywell. The two acres of school ground is shown on both the Holywell and Avenal parish maps for 1914. Re first teacher – Gresford Connections Vol. 2, Gresford Historical Society 2015, pp48-49.
Thanks to Ivan Skaines, Cameron Archer, Fiona Park and Janece McDonald for information provided.
Gresford Connections Vol. 2, Gresford Historical Society 2015, pp48-49.
Screenshot from history database entry for Halton School.