McGill Butchery, King Street Paterson
About 1910 William McGill purchased the old Royal Oak Inn building at 18 King Street, Paterson as his family home. At the same time he converted the detached kitchen at 16 King Street, now a pharmacy, into his butcher's shop. In 1913 William announced he was selling his business and leaving the district (Maitland Mercury 21 August 1913, page 8) but apparently passed the business on to his son Walter. In 1948 Walter's son, Ross McGill, took over the Paterson butcher's shop at the age of 24.
In those days each butcher shop had its own slaughter yard, and the McGill's slaughter yard was located near the Paterson showground. Ross McGill lived at 14 King Street Paterson with his wife Margaret for 42 years before moving to Maitland. They sold the butcher's shop to Jack Daniels who ran it for a few years before closing it in 1977.
McGill butcher shop in King Street Paterson about 1912 (Paterson Historical Society).
McGill butcher shop in King Street Paterson in 1946 (Paterson Historical Society).
The Paterson Psst Newsletter, issue 148, March 2018, unnamed author.