Paterson Hotel, later Brooklyn House
In 1835 James Phillips commissioned John Verge to draw up plans for a hotel at Paterson, probably sensing a business opportunity. In 1833 the township of Paterson had been gazetted alongside James Phillips' property, 'Bona Vista', and by 1835 a courthouse and government lockup had been built in the new town. The government administration of the district now moved from Old Banks to Paterson, followed by commerce and thirsty patrons.
Paterson Hotel, later Brooklyn House. It stood at what is now 11 Victoria Street, Paterson (Paterson Historical Society).
Phillips built the Paterson Hotel, also known as the Paterson Arms Hotel, on land bounded by Victoria, Sloan, Main and High streets. The hotel, located at what is now 11 Victoria Street, Paterson, was an elegant two-storey brick building with five bedrooms upstairs, accessed by a winding stone staircase and leading onto a balcony of iron palisading.
Paterson Hotel opened in 1838, licenced to William Pragnall. In about 1840 Phillips sold the Hotel to Felix Wilson who by then owned the nearby Tocal estate. Over the next 20 years Paterson Hotel had various licensees including James Cook, Edwin Brown, William Pragnell, Charles Robbins and Saul Solomon. Solomon was the last licensee (1860). The hotel ceased trading in late 1860 or early 1861 and the licence was not renewed. 
The building remained in the Wilson family until sold to William Keppie in 1893. It was renamed Brooklyn House and used as a residence and boarding house by the Keppie family for over 40 years. Mrs Andrew Keppie passed away there in 1939. In 1948 it was the home was Mr and Mrs C Boyce. Brooklyn House was demolished about 1957.
Above: Brooklyn House in the 1950s (photo: Paterson Historical Society).
Above: Brooklyn House (arrowed) in this late 1950s aerial photo. It stood at what is now 11 Victoria Street, Paterson.
List and index of Paterson's hotels.
2. Publicans' licences, ancestry.com.au.
3. Index to publicans' licences 1830-61, State Records NSW.
Archer, Cameron. The Settlement of the Paterson District. Paterson: Paterson Historical Society, 1986.
Mitchell, Cecily. Hunter's River. Newcastle, 1973.
Threlfo, Shirley. James Phillips and Bona Vista, Paterson River. Paterson: Paterson Historical Society, 1999.