The Plough Inn
The Plough Inn opened in 1845 in a wooden building on Gresford Road just north of Paterson. It's first licensee was Peter Keppie and the inn stood on land owned by the Bedwell family, originally part of the land grant 'Cintra'. In 1837 Frederick Bedwell purchased 52 acres of the Cintra estate and named it 'Valentia' (now 166 Gresford Road). The Plough Inn was 1.4km north of Paterson, on the western side of Gresford Road (GPS 32° 35.383'S 151° 36.639'E).
Edmund Long held the licence for the Plough Inn from 1856 to 1860 although the local licensing court refused to renew his licence for a time in 1858 after Long and his two sons were convicted of an 'outrageous and atrocious asault'. From 1865 to 1867 Elphn Puxty held the license, followed by Joseph Green Smith from 1868 to 1881. In 1873 Edward Kealy was killed in a fight at the Plough Inn.
The Plough Inn. It closed in 1882 and became George Osmond's Wine Shop in 1884 (photo: Paterson Historical Society).
The Plough Inn closed in 1882 when it did not meet the accommodation requirements of the new Licensing Act. The licensee at the time, JG Smith, built the Commercial Hotel (now the Tavern) in its place.
In 1884 the former Plough Inn became George Osmond's wine shop and accommodation. He operated the business for nine years before retiring. His wife, Elizabeth, lived to the age of 96, having lived in the Paterson district for 75 years (see obituary).
The old Plough Inn became George Osmond's Wine Shop and accommodation (Maitland Mercury, 18 September 1884).
List and index of Paterson's hotels.
1. Index to publicans' licences 1830-61, State Records NSW. See also Cessnock Eagle, 23 August 1932, 5.
2. Boyle, HF. Lieutenant Commander Frederick Bedwell R.N 1796-1853. Paterson: Paterson Historical Society, 1992.