Above: the former Royal Oak Inn in King St. Paterson.
Above: from the Maitland Mercury, 30 May 1874 p1.
Above: from the Maitland Mercury, 18 Dec 1875 p1.
The Royal Oak, also called the Royal Oak Inn, was built in the late 1840s by Dr Isaac Nind as his residence. It included a free-standing kitchen/tea-rooms on the adjoining block to the east, connected to the main house by a covered walkway. Dr Nind also maintained a small hospital at Tillimby.
Dr Nind was a keen collector of wines and the house featured a large wine cellar lined with sandstone blocks. The first known mention of the house as the Royal Oak Inn is in 1851, and in 1853 Dr Nind sold the property to William Reade who operated a wine and spirit store there until 1858 when he returned to England. The building was purchased by Edmund/Edward Long who used it as a store until obtaining a license for it as a hotel in 1861. He then operated the Royal Oak until his death in 1864.
The property passed to Ellen, John and Joseph Long. In 1865 and 1866 the licensee was Daniel Long, then Ellen Long in 1867 and back to Daniel in 1868. The licensee was 'Elephannan Puxty' from 1869 to 1877. In 1871 Ellen Puxty is mentioned as the 'landlady of the Royal Oak Inn'. In 1872 there is reference to Mr Puxty's Royal Oak Inn and in 1873 Mrs Puxty's Royal Oak Inn.
In 1877 George Seabrook/Scabrooke took over from Mrs Puxty as proprietor, followed by Thomas Swift in 1879 to 1881 which was the last year the Royal Oak was licensed.
The Paterson branch of the Commercial Banking Co., Sydney, opened in temporary premises in the old Wellington Inn, then moved across the road to the Royal Oak Inn building in May 1882. It probably remained there until the bank's own premises was built across the road on the corner of King and Duke streets in 1902.
About 1910 William McGill purchased the Inn and converted the detached kitchen/tea-rooms into a butcher's shop. The McGill family operated a butchery there for the next 60 odd years, selling the business in the 1970s.
The Royal Oak Inn is now a private residence and the former detached kitchen/tea-rooms is a pharmacy and residence.
Above: Royal Oak Inn with its kitchen/tea-rooms in the foreground. A balcony was later added to the inn and a verandah to the team-rooms (photo: Paterson Historical Society).
List and index of Paterson's hotels.
Clements, Pauline. "No. 18 King Street, Royal Oak Inn", in Paterson, a Slice of Valley Life - Gleanings from the Museum News no.2. Paterson: Paterson Historical Society, undated.