Wellington Inn, Paterson
The Wellington Inn was at 17 King St, Paterson.
The Wellington Inn is one of Paterson's early hotels. It was located at 17 King St, Paterson and the first owner was Robert Murray. He sold it to a Mr Hoddle in September 1841, and Hoddle was still the owner in May 1842. The Inn contained five bedrooms, two parlours, bar and taproom, with a separate six-stall brick stables.
In June 1842 it was licensed to John Rawlins Burgis. Charles Haylock then held the licence from 1843 until 1854.
In 1854 the Wellington Inn was put up for sale. It was described as a "stuccoed building, containing ten rooms, has a brick stable and coach-house, with commodious out-buildings, and a garden both front and rear".
In 1858 the Wellington Inn was licensed to "Elanhan Puxty" and in 1861 the licensee was Mr T Puxty. By 1866 it was no longer licensed. In 1876 it was mentioned as "Mr Thomson's Inn". In 1882 it was referred as 'the Old Wellington Inn' and was used as temporary premises for the Commercial Bank for a few months.
King Street, Paterson, in the 1880s. The Wellington Inn is circled, with its stables in full view on the right but the view of the main building is partly obstructed. The two-storey building obstructing the view is the Paterson Post Office. The long, low building in front on the Inn is on the corner block then owned by the Church of England (photo: Paterson Historical Society, courtesy Mrs Boxer).
List and index of Paterson's hotels.